Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Everyone Has a Dark Side


This is one of the hardest truths in life that I have had to face. Everyone has weaknesses. No matter how good a person is perceived to be, there’s always the chance that they will hurt you, betray you, humiliate you, or neglect you. And maybe the worst part is, sometimes the person that does those things is me.


I have been hurt by family, and by my closest friends. I imagine all of us have. Part of me thought that would all change within the Church, but in some ways it’s been the opposite. The nature of Christian relationships is that you’re much closer to people than you would otherwise be, because of that intimate spiritual connection found only in Christ. But, the closer you are to someone, the more potential they have to do you harm. We can take many things from strangers, but from a brother… there are no words. David says it like this in Psalm 55, “For it is not an enemy who insults me, for then I could bear it. But it is you, a man like myself, my companion, my close friend.”


Just as bad is being hurt by those you highly respect: teachers, ministers, those in other high positions. I’ve been publicly humiliated by those I’ve greatly admired, and I cannot begin to explain how devastating that was to me. And I shamefully admit that I have likely done the same to others in times of weakness, selfishness, and pride.


There are many ways to react to this dark reality of life. One is to deny it, to believe that people don’t really hurt each other like this, or that it doesn’t really hurt to be treated badly. One is to buy into the lie that we deserve whatever this person has done, because we are essentially bad people. Another is to put up a wall, unwilling to trust other people, because there’s always this fear that the closer they get, the more it’s going to hurt when betrayal comes. But I think the way of God is very different from these.


I believe God invites us to, in spite of our sinfulness, have intimate relationships with other people, because we have a different motivation than the rest of men. In one of Jesus’ beatitudes, He puts it like this, “blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.” Whenever I forgive and accept those who humiliate me, hurt me, and betray me, I am actually taking on God’s nature… because that’s what He has done to me. Our lives, if nothing else, are on the whole an exclamation point screaming that all we really care about is ourselves, and that God is anything but a priority to us. We have loved the gifts, but ignored the Giver. We have taken for granted His blessings, but complained bitterly about our problems. Mercy to my brother or superior who demeans me seems nothing in comparison to what I have done to Almighty God. My motivation to forgive is that I have done far worse to God, and yet He has forgiven me.


But that doesn’t stop it from hurting. I have shed many tears over harsh accusations, character assassinations, gossip, public humiliations, and brutal attacks on my intentions. I have been so hurt by those I trusted that I wasn’t sure I had the strength to walk out my own front door. But the second part of this reality that I must face is that the roles could easily be reversed. It is not beyond me to betray, to hurt, and demean. So, when all my tears are shed, mercy is my only option.


And, in the end, the only perfect one is God. I must be like David, that though I may be completely surrounded by enemies disguised as friends, He is my only real sustainer and validation. He alone is all-loving, just, compassionate, and unwilling to do evil. I can hold on to that, realizing that one day sin will be completely finished. On that day I can trust my brother without fear, because we will be with God and all that will be left is love.

4 comments:

Joseph said...

I am sorry that you are having such a hard time with your dark side. I have long sense figured out how to get rid of my own. You should by my self help book when it comes out.

on a serious note- thanks for the honesty bro.

Stuart Davison said...

If everyone didn't have a dark side what would have been the point of Christ coming and dying on the cross? If even 1 person on earth could have saved himself by being perfect and not having "a dark side"?

We will get hurt. We will be misunderstood. We may be persecuted for our faith, even by other Christians. We may be imprisoned or even put to death by our own people. Christ felt compassion and shone his light *especially* on those who were walking in darkness. Yet after all his teaching, all the love he showed them, even his closest friends couldn't be counted on and let him down. Judas betrayed him. Peter had a lapse of faith and denied he even knew him. The people God rescued and led to the promised land, His chosen people, turned on Him multiple times and then ultimately murdered his son on the cross. Likewise, we also will be let down by others close to us, including our own self (many times).

Wouldn't this be terribly depressing if not for the fact that we already know how it turns out in the end? God is victorious over the darkness.

We have been called to push our own selfish person and all his/her worldly baggage aside. I believe this includes our "right to feel wronged". We are called to be "dead" to self. We have to try to react to these things as Christ would have - by reflecting back God's love, even on our worst enemies. When someone wrongs you, lets you down, turns on you - pray for them with compassion, ask that God shine his light on them. When you feel yourself in the presence of darkness, step aside and let God's light shine through. God is powerful .. there is no darkness that he can't make light.

I pray that God richly bless you in your life and ministries.

jayaygee said...

Wow. Its amazing how much painful truth God's word holds. BUT, its so legit. :) And it may smack me in the face, but that's what I need sometimes. So thanks. God Bless

Caleb John said...

You guys need to
check out this on FIRE Christian Real Estate Entrepreneur Franklin Cruz I was reading a post on www.FranklinCruz.com and this guy is powerful. They call him the Real Estate Drill Sergeant. I know kind of weird, but he is a real Iraqi War Vet and a Successful Real Estate Investor/ Entrepreneur. Anyway, I just want to tell you guys about a Expert not NO SCAM ARTIST GURU. Again, check it out for yourself www.reDrillSergeant.com . And I heard him Preach in Orlando and WOW!!! Stay Blessed...